Fresh green bean and pea salad
A fresh and light salad that makes a lovely treat on a warm day. Fresh green beans and crunchy peas mixed with Leyden cheese, sprinkled with herbs.
- 1 small juicy orange
- 1-2 tsp honey
- 150 g (5oz) podded peas (fresh or frozen)
- 200 g (5oz) Leyden Cheese (with cumin)
- 200 g (7oz) green beans
- 4 spring onions
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g (2oz) pinenuts
- mint and/or chives)
- Trim the beans and place them in a large pan halffilled with boiling water. Boil for 4 minutes. Add the peas and boil for another 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool.
- Slice, while the beans and peas are cooking, the spring onions into thin rounds.
- Pick the leaves and tiny stalks off the herb sprigs. Tear any larger leaves into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Cut the cheese into thin strips.
- Toast the pinenuts in a dry frying pan until golden brown. Leave to cool on a plate.
- Wash the orange with warm water. Finely grate the rind over a large bowl. Squeeze the orange and mix the juice and rind. Add the honey, the olive oil, pepper & salt and stir well. Mix in the other ingredients. Divide the salad over 4 nice plates.
- Serve with wholewheat toast or warm French baguette.
* Try with Black Pepper cheese.