Roasted Mexican vegetables
Slow roasted Mexican vegetables served with a spicy Edam Chilli Cheese and rich smooth avocado.
- 1 pinch chilli powder
- 1 red pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 yellow pepper
- 150 g (5oz) sliced Edam cheese with chilli peppers
- 2 corncobs
- 3 tbsp corn oil
- 300 g (10oz) carrot
- 40 g (1½oz) tortilla chips
- 500 g (17½oz) sweet potatoes
- 8 small tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Halve the corncobs then halve them again. Place the pieces in a large pan halffilled with boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Cut the peppers into wide strips.
- Peel and thickly slice the carrots.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 68 equal sized pieces each.
- Halve the tomatoes.
- Place the corn, pepper, potato, carrot oil, chilli powder and some salt into a large oven dish and mix together.
- Roast the vegetables for 40 minutes in the preheated oven. Turn the vegetables over twice during roasting. After 40 minutes, add the tomatoes and roast the vegetables for 10 more minutes.
- Peel the avocado, halve it, take out the stone and chop the flesh.
- Slice the cheese into wide strips.
- Take the oven dish out of the oven and scatter the avocado on top. Roughly crumble the tortilla chips on top, top with the cheese and place back into the oven until the cheese has melted.
* Try with Garden Herbs cheese.